October 16, 2017
How to have a good confinement month?
Confinement month is a traditional idea that says ladies who just gave birth should have proper rest and recovery in the first 100 days postpartum. For the modern urbanite, finding a month for recovery may sometimes be a challenge, but it is still very important to help your body recuperate properly. From a Chinese medicine perspective, women after birth have taken quite the beating on their bodies due to the amount of energy exerted and the amount of blood loss during birth, and both qi and blood are asthenic. But some people just consume tonic foods, and that could cause the lochia to remain in the body. If the mommy is only displaying asthenic qi and blood symptoms after labor, then she can appropriately condition the body accordingly. It may seem like there are a lot of restrictions during confinement but in reality, they can be small adjustments to daily habits. It is important not to have too much pressure too!
Tips for confinement month:
– If you catch cold nursing in the middle of the night, try cooking a pot of ginger skin and ginger, then soak in it for 15-20 minutes in the tub, or pour ginger tea into a bucket and soak your feet with it before sleep.
– Use warm water to brush your teeth and wash your face in the morning
– Nourish your spleen and stomach. Healthy spleen and stomach helps to bring proper nutrients to the body and to nourish qi and blood.
– Try to sleep as often as possible as your body needs to recover to produce breastmilk
– Stay in a happy state of mind
– Try to use fresh ingredien