July 8, 2018
You need to clear heat and nourish yin if you are watching world cup late at night
World cup happens every four years so everyone has the good reason to stay up to watch the games. You sleep less and coupled with snacks like chips, instant noodles and beer during the game. You are practically a walking zombie the next morning with a headache, dry eyes, dark eye circles, pimples, dry mouth, bad breath, canker sores, indigestion, yellowish urine, dry stool, or even constipation. Your overall energy is zapped.
People naturally should be active during the day and rest at night as your yang qi is activated in the day time. Resting at night is to stop your yang qi from staying activated, so staying up at night leads to yang not converting to yin. Chinese medicine believes late nights can hurt yin and yin deficiency leads to heat in body. The symptoms above means yin deficient body constitution so be careful not to drink a lot of cool herbal tea to clear heat as you may further hurt your yin. You need to clear heat as well as nourish yin to balance the two.
If you can’t avoid staying up to watch the games, then adjust your dietary habits accordingly:
– have lighter meald with more soup and congee
– avoid spicy, fried and oily foods
– drink less coffee and milk tea
– have fruits, fruit chips, nuts, yogurt, green tea or floral tea during games
– have more ingredients that clear heat and nourish yin such as American ginseng, chrysanthemum, honey, pear, etc
Recommended dessert soup:
Papaya soup with snow fungus and lily bulbs
Effects: clears heat and nourishes yin, moisturizes skin, clears heat related to frequent late nights
Ingredients: 1 snow fungus, 15g lily bulbs, 60g fresh lotus seeds with core (20g if dried), 1 midsize papaya, rock sugar to taste
1. Soak snow fungus in water until it expands. Cut off the stem and rip into small pieces. Rinse lily bulbs and lotus seeds. Peel papaya, remove seeds and cut into large pieces.
2. Place snow fungus, lily bulbs, lotus seeds into pot and add enough water to submerge all ingredients. Cook on high heat until boiling and turn to low heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Add in rock sugar and cook until it has melted.