July 24, 2018
6 tips for soup making
I’m a soup lover but heard double stewed soup is high in fat and can even cause cancer. Cantonese people drink it all the time, is it healthy?
CheckCheckCin: Double stewed soup is a staple of Cantonese diet. It takes over half a day to prepare and is also a symbol of mom’s love. It is viewed as a healthy thing due to the ingredients but it usually needs to be cooked for at least 3 hours and a lot of nutrients is gone from the cooking time. The fat also detaches from meat which is a burden on the body. In addition, the longer you cook the soup, the more purine there will be which can make gout and uric acid issues worsen.
We have advocating for soups that are mostly vegetarian, and usually simmer for 1.5-2 hours only. It won’t be fatty and can keep the healthy factor of soups.
If you don’t have time to make soup, you can also try boiled soup. Since the cooking time is shortened, you would cut your ingredients smaller to help the flavor come out.
Here are 6 tips for making soup ‘ing
1. Ensure your ingredients are fresh
2. You don’t have to add meat to your soup, they can be delicious if the ingredients combination is correct.
3. Add enough water to start and avoid adding water midday.
4. Add in ingredients while water is cold to ensure a better flavor.
5. Ensure to cook on high heat until boiling first and then simmer.
6. Add salt at the end after the soup is done.