June 12, 2019
腎經首穴 — 湧泉穴
Take care of your kidneys early to protect your knees
“As my dad gets older, he often complains about knee pain and difficulty walking. Pain killers do not seem to work, what can we do?”
CheckCheckCin: Knee pain and difficulty walking are mostly caused by degenerative joint.
Joint degeneration is a natural part of aging. Its symptoms include joint pain, weakness and soreness, stiffness, difficulty in walking up and down stairs. It is common with the elderly, osteoporosis patients and long-term manual workers. Ancient Chinese medicine book “Huangdi Neijing” mentioned that men’s kidney qi get worse after the age of 40. Insufficient kidney essence leads to empty marrow. The bone cannot get enough nutrients. Therefore, joint degenerates then affects leg movement. You can seek for medical help if knee joint discomfort affects your daily live. You can also start to prevent and relieve joint degeneration by doing the following.
– Control your weight so as not to overburden your knees and even cause arthritis
– Wear trousers more often to avoid exposing your knees to cold
– Expose yourself to sunlight for 20 to 30 minutes every day before 10 am or after 4 pm to absorb vitamin D and replenish yang qi
– Lift less heavy objects. If you have to lift heavy objects, keep your posture proper. Lower your center of gravity by squatting down. Keep your body close to heavy objects, straighten your back, and lift heavy objects using your leg strength.
– Appropriately consume ingredients that nourish kidney, such as dusk rice water, black sesame, black beans, oyster, dried scallops, walnuts, cashews, etc.
– Massage the kidney points every day to active kidney qi
Kidney meridian point – Yong Quan Point
Effect: nourishes yin and kidneys, strengthens your marrow. To prevent weak leg and waist
Location: bottom of feet, curl up your toes and it is located at the depressed point at the center of your feet
Method: use your thumb and massage in circular motion for 2 to 3 minutes every day.